Saturday, October 10, 2020

Today If I Could





Today if I could

I’d lay the palm of my hand
against the face of the dog
who bit me savagely
when I was four
today if his teeth in their yellow’d
vein
if his tongue could taste something other
than blood if I understood why
his tail moved the way it did maybe I’d be
able to move away
in time maybe later we could’ve been

friends right? big as me we'd've seen
people fall down drunk in front
of us and hold their broken bones we'd've
watched them back
out of the driveway without
looking we'd've seen the animals limp
to the grass in the ditches
and stay there and not wait a
day or day after day waiting
for the school bus the dead dog
in the ditch because it wasn’t
us not that day it wasn’t if I could

lay the palm of my hand
against the chest of this Tramp
and take his heart-
beat into me
and ease it like I’ve seen
surgeons ease the heart drawn out
to the open and coax and rub it like a new 
baby being 
born like a favorite
grandmother dying if I could

look into his dreams of that day he was
a sweet dog I know he didn’t mean
it lunging after backing up
and lunging and backing up and rough
and sunk into my face and the putrid
breath
the shit in piles all around the mud
puddles no house only a rumpled rough Army
blanket moth holes bored to death
holes hot August on the edge
of the blueberry  
field if I could
lay down with him and take it
again take it so he’d be a happy dog finally

I would

No comments:

Post a Comment