Saturday, October 10, 2020

still, birth





Still, Birth 



For they were deep in the earth and what is possible took hold
                                                                                                Orpheus and Eurydice
                                                                                                Jorie Grahm




Something of you has to die to go down that far
into the basalt of a dust so dark so thick it numbs
the lungs, it presses on the back of the tongue
like drying lava in the throat of those who don’t remember
or know enough to close their mouths.  I’m in

my first and really my only labor and all
the months coming up to it, the swell of my belly so
white and tight it reminds me of an antelope
in mid flight where all that could be
seen was so hollow it was sahara camouflage.

and once my son’s ball of a hand brought itself
across the sky of his red room as if to say LOOK!
LOOK AT ALL THIS!   IT’S GOING TO BE TOUGH TO GIVE
IT ALL UP.  And it was.   It was tough.  Once it all
started to liquefy and stream out the only possible

end of the line I was made to lay down to rest
at the lip of it and the Orpheus in me
with my strings and winding sheet set about
to seduce the hounds of hell to let me
pass.  They growled and rippled against their ribs

and stood up on end and pawed and clawed and lapped
at, at, at, the salt and water at the song of it seeping
between my knees and rising off the lyre and finally I walked on in 
and I walked for hours, hours among and around cables
of veins and caves of all the others, babies who were

almost born, all the tried and tired who were the shades
of who would make a stay of it for ever and ever, those
unborn unformed babies (a man I’d rather not name made
one for me and he bled out of me in a public rest-
room and I knew he'd never have claimed him made
that way and razed and Fuck he tried and I was

a long time walking by, a long long time seeing 
and walking by my winding sheet my lyre my throat closing
to only the highest notes so when I arrived
at the foot of my own bed with all my dead one
was rising up one was loitering one was listening

one was asking me one was dying one was only no one
and never would be and I had a hard time deciphering
the one who wanted to be.  Maybe it was my turning
away maybe I’d come into the wrong grotto and I heard
WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! YES, WAIT!

Orpheus was told not to turn around.  It was his only
Rule.  And he wanted to he loved so much he couldn’t
resist.  His Eurydice followed voiceless as a shadow.
If only he’d watched that shadow the whole way out.
if only he’d read about Medusa.  If only he didn’t need

to confirm the flesh.  If only he’d stepped
out into the light and been blinded so that when
he did turn back he couldn’t see.  He could pour himself
down the hollow of her pupil and feel the mouth
of the cave filled all at once and all at once not empty out.

Having a baby is like this, don’t you think?  Of going
ax and shovel into the mine, of digging and lifting
and holding the light to the vein the vein that goes
back and back and back and forward and forward?  The wax
in the light in the fist is thick.  The wick is tough as cat-

gut, it is thick with song and when you come to the end?
Listen, it changes.  Some come to draw breath.
Some come oh some come to the edge and stay
still.  They’ve been seen and suddenly they can’t
breathe.  They irradiate their custom’s cold blue.  They are

held dead as hair.  They are beautiful but can’t be
taken.  And Orpheus, before he goes mad, drops
his winding sheet and goes out ahead of it all, naked,
singing, singing, the cave mouth closing over him
like an eclipse on an elliptical strip.  A Mobius. 







No comments:

Post a Comment