Sunday, October 11, 2020

A Leap Year Day




A Leap Year Day

                Open the hurt locker
                and see what there is of knives
                and teeth. Open the hurt locker and learn…
                                                                Brian Turner
                                                                “The Hurt Locker”


Next year today will be the last day
of this month.  And for the next three
years.  But then another one more
day in February.  For balance I suppose—
someone somewhere maybe a lot of
someones in a lot of somewheres,
what for growing things in neat
little rows and boxes?  food and low
income row houses? 
I don’t know.  I don’t care really
and I suppose most days go like that

but tomorrow, the here and now is 
it means I got
one more day in this month, here
in this tiny room to shut my mouth
to walk solo, slide when the lights go
on and the door clicks the lock lets
loose.  And you know I bet that’s the one
noise I’m taking out of here, I bet
when I’m fifty something  a little
click will make me stiff, whatever

I’m doing I’ll stop, the way I’ve seen
guys in movies stop before they step 
down on solid ground and then just 
like that the whole world
is in the sole of his left boot stop, 
like in that movie,
Hurt Locker, remember?  I watched it
before I came in no shit it has got to be
the best movie I’ve seen

in a long time though right now
I’m thinking about nothing,
nothing in particular but that click
when something’s coming and closing to
and I’m just waiting in the in/between of it
and the dust the skin of the guys
who were in here before I was and left
whatever it is of themselves, when they 
scratched their balls or 
their heads, or the spaces there are 
between them and one last
mother-fucking gloriously mundane
day.

No comments:

Post a Comment