Sunday, October 11, 2020

Finding a Dr. Swets American Beverage Bottle Empty and Whole




Finding a Dr. Swets American Beverage Bottle Empty and Whole


The tiny skeleton…
remembers the falter of engines,
a cry without
answer, the long dying
into
and out of the sea.
                                                Donald Hall
                                                The Blue Wing


I pick up scraps of glass and say they’re
beautiful.   But only if the edges are worn easy,
and forgiving them if they have a lip especially or a letter,

if (because I need an imagination for this) when I took
to the sea I’d be looking into
settling down here again in a place that claims

great heaps of people and land without partial
prejudice.  It breaks everything against the cliffs
like ships at war.  I don’t take it up,

though later I wonder, should I
have, the whole hazy with age and tumble
bottle of Dr. Swets American Beverage.  I walk out

instead into the tide where the living things
are.  I walk out into the sunrise.  I walk out
where men and women and children have

died.  Somehow though I’m never close
enough to that lighthouse no one can ever touch unless
they’re at the year’s lowest tides.  I’ve always wanted

to lay my hand against her, maybe even
my cheek.  I’ve always wanted to stay off
the shock of getting stuck out there and no way

back on foot.  She saves most people, right? The light-
house?  Those going by in their fog-choked boats,
ignoring her, though maybe that’s the whole

point.  I want to walk out far enough,
to be able to, and taste the corroded iron
and hope if it even comes close, it's what I want

or what I think I need.  I don’t know.  And I won’t
this year.  Instead, I push back at the sand and noiseless
waves and find a favored three or four sand dollars—

and somehow taking them home living and unbroken
is the only thing that matters—all that walking out
and holding my own, past the clammers and that

one antique bottle I could’ve sold for fifteen
bucks in the Clutter Shop, past the battered lobster
trap with all her catch gone out of her, past the salt

marsh the Passamaquoddy come to
when their baskets need grass (South Lubec’s the best
stretch of beach for that) past he Ferguson boy’s last

breath in the black dark, his body heaving to days
and days later… scraps of them all.  Worn by what’s struck
them, licking them clean only after they’re broke

open or left whole but hollow like the bottle, like that Hopper-
painting-sky changing behind me, like the sand dollar
dying in my inner pocket while I outwalk the tide 

that's always behind me but not that far, no, not that
far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment